Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 5 of 5
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

1 of 2 And more *unexplained* stuff happening - 10/21/2005
I tried to find the ring "Please don't adopt my Ring!!!" but not successful. If the ring still exists? If it doesn't that could be the reason the link isn't working. If the ring still exists perhaps something wrong with the code. Try to Get Navigation Code again.

Replied - 10/21/2005
Rings must be difficult to adopt out nowadays and merging must seem a viable alternative.

Replied - 10/21/2005
= = = = = = = = = =
I tried to find the ring "Please don't adopt my Ring!!!" but not successful. If the ring still exists? If it doesn't that could be the reason the link isn't working. If the ring still exists perhaps something wrong with the code. Try to Get Navigation Code again.
= = = = = = = = = =

No. I believe here post was

a) the ring no longer exists, but

b) instead of being directed to a page that says it no longer exists, you are directed to a different webring

If I understood her post correctly the question was why a link to a non-existant webring was being directed to a different webring.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 10/22/2005
You have a paranoid, and rather uncivil, perspective. We're sorry that support has not been of any help to you.

There are hundreds of thousands, millions, of websites with obsolete navigation code on them - mainly old HTML from the pre-yahoo days. We have a couple of part timers who do nothing but "link" deleted rings to existing rings of a similar topic. There are some catchall rings as well. Deleted rings that are deemed to have no discernible topic are often directed to other rings that have no discernible topic.

One advantage of the SSNB is that navigation code for rings is both easy to change and easy to remove from any given site where it is installed.

When a ring is deleted the navigation "stacks" for the various sites in it are not always rebuilt. However, the next time any of those "stacks" are rebuilt any "deleted" ring code drops off. Since managers are in a nearly continuous process of adding non-essential links to navbars (links to other rings - we may have to limit that; links to sites not in any ring - we do try to limit that; ads - we really try to find and remove those), as well as other activities, most stacks get rebuilt regularly. Stacks also get rebuilt when a member reorders the stack, changes options for the stack, joins other rings or leaves rings for that URL/stack, etc.

You're welcome to go elsewhere - as are all free people. Perhaps you'll get the support you desire there.

You are not welcome, however, to make irrational, divisive, inaccurate and slanderous posts like the one you made here.

Replied - 12/10/2005
Hi! The Member you are inquiring about is:
empress_of_webring - last active 12/10/2005 21:48:22 PST, 0.04 days ago.
Email status: verified No unread wrmail, wrmail last read: 20051106, wrmail last received: 20050806 Contact member

Their greeting is: Empress, why of course I am.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy