Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

The whole dictatorship - 10/02/2006
Normally I don't post here. Normally I don't post to any forum. I'm just one of those quiet sorts who sits back and reads the forums I do belong to and manages my rings.

This is just unreasonable, and thus worthy of comment.

They offer me rings to adopt even NOW.. as I'm deleting rings and/or migrating them to other ring systems the folks here are trying to foist off abandoned rings on me. As if I want them when I'm not keeping the rings I built with love and care!

This new system seems to invoke quantity of members in a ring versus quality of members in a ring. I for one would rather surf a small quality ring that will perhaps lead me to similar small quality rings than spend hours surfing through a ring so bored by wading through stuff that shouldn't belong that I abandon my quest for content as I'd have better luck with the search engine's shotgun approach.

Small quality rings tends to mean more than ONE ring, it also tends to mean member of more than one ring especially for those of us with subsections of our websites devoted to a particular interest.

Examples? I do freelance design of website graphics, I'm also into ElfQuest, I MUSH, and I play webhost to several friends pages. In addition I have cats and hermit crabs so of course a pet section and another whole area devoted to every detail I can find or relate about the care and proper maintenance of hermit crabs. If I joined one ring per subsection (which generally contains at least 8 pages) of my site I'd belong to 15 rings. That's definitely not going to get me a free membership. Yet each area is a website unto itself and the webring code is placed in a subsection rather than a main page which bombards you with the various choices.

I have been not only a consciencious ring master, but a consciencious ring member. Webring seems to have decided that I and those like me who have labored out of love over their rings and their website are so much chaff to be shaken from the pure grain of those willing to cough up the all mighty dollar.

And, it seems quite plain that they're willing to lose every single ringmaster of any real value in pursuit of that goal. So take flight, let the wind carry you (us) to ring systems that will be glad of our dedication, glad of our devotion. Ring systems that will become more powerful because of us, and leave this dying 'whale' to rot in the sun as it deserves.

Replied - 10/02/2006
This is a wonderful example of options we are exploring! Having one ring with subsections for various interests on the main theme. For example, a "cat" ring, with subsections within that ring for commercial sites, personal sites, specific breeds of cats, etc.

Keep the ideas coming!

WebRing Support

Replied - 10/02/2006
= = = = = = =
This is a wonderful example of options we are exploring! Having one ring with subsections for various interests on the main theme. For example, a "cat" ring, with subsections within that ring for commercial sites, personal sites, specific breeds of cats, etc.
= = = = = = =

I'm listening, but I'm a skeptic.

That idea sounds (to me, at first) more like DMOZ than webrings.

James S. Huggins

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy