Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 5 of 5
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Why I originally came to Webring - why I'm leaving. - 10/03/2006
Well, actually, I built my webrings for just one purpose - and it wasn't to make money. It was to link sites together with mine that share the same interests as I do.

I really don't care what Google, or the bus company, or anyone else thinks about my rings - I liked them, which is why I'm transferring most of them to other services who also believe that I have a right to my own interests and don't have to bend to "corporate America" and its wishes.

Way back when, when I first joined WebRing, I thought rings were a place to link people together in common bonds, with common interests.

Guess I was wrong.

One other small item - and it's for WebRing Corp. I signed onto WebRing as a free service. I worked on my rings as a volunteer. I joined other rings as a volunteer member. I WILL NOT PAY - NOT ONE RED CENT - FOR ANY KIND OF WEBRING SERVICE. If you sue me, I will have a print of this, my official notice to you, in court with me. Don't send a bill, don't send the sheriff.

BTW, still waiting for Frank, from Support, to get back to me.

Dave W

Replied - 10/03/2006
I agree with you.

I joined Webring not to make money but to create a ring where people of the same interest that I do could be in a ring where our readers could flip from one site to another very easily.

I happen to be a fanfiction writer and I still have one ring that is for fanfiction writers to be in the same ring together. The other ring is for everyone who thinks their site is great. I never asked them to pay to be on the feature page nor will I. I don't even feature my sites on my rings, I highlight other people's rings.

I came to Webring for one thing, to promote my sites to other viewers and help them promote their sites to others. Now I am looking to promote my site via my Livejournal and by e-mail signature.

I'm sorry, Webring, but this new policy of yours suck and you are in fact losing good people and good websites from many of thousands of rings.

I will leave my two rings up and that's it. I will maintain them but I will not pay one cent to get more rings.

Tari

Replied - 10/04/2006
tari_lightfeather, you are the reason I joined Webring so long ago. I wanted to be in one of your rings (I'm in so many now that I don't remember which one) but it's likely that you have already abandoned that ring. I wanted to create a Ring to be a part of this community, and I have made a total of three and manage sixty. Now I have to give up everything or convince all of my members to join one or two of them and delete the rest. Some of my rings I have managed for years, and I refuse to let someone else ruin them. Also, since we can only join 5 rings, the rings we have will see a drop in membership in a few months and they may fall below the three required to be active in the system. When no ring has a membership above three, where will that leave Webring? When these rings that have existed since the geocities days are not adopted and are deleted, where will that leave us? Our community has been destroyed by this edict, and we will never retreive it as it was.

The only thing we can do is to link to each other's sites through our own, not through Webring. Every member of each of my Rings will be listed on my website before I delete all of my rings, and I will never let Webring keep us from networking our sites as we have been doing for years. We can fight by not fighting, by giving up and storing the information from our Rings elsewhere so that we can create a new Webring elsewhere, on our own servers, away from the tyranny that has absorbed this system.

Anyone who knows where we can create our own community, let me know. I have always loved Webring and used it as my homepage, checking on my rings dozens of times a day, and I don't want to lose the sense of community that we, not WebRing Management, have created over the years.

Replied - 10/04/2006
kazeko,

I share your sentiments. Ringlink.org and Ringsurf.com are two alternatives and other programers are working on more alternatives.

I am receiving dozens of adoption notices and even more ring deletion notices in my WebRing email - every day!

This is a fine example of corporate downsizing that we are witnessing.

Those who have been(MIS)managing the WebRing system until recently could not make the money required to pay all the bills because....well...we all know why....and we would not want to violate any TOS here...or the ever expanding forum policy.

On another note....... Here are some words which I have been studying the definitions of;

Ungrateful, selfish, egotistical, undiplomatic, greedy, narrow-minded, peevish, petty, obnoxious, beligerent, self-serving, mean-spiited, rude, arrogant, uncaring, clueless, pompous, deceitful, out of tune, out of touch, non-visionary, delusional and all their synonyms. I am also doing research on the signs and symptoms of "Chronic Cognitive Disonance"

Best regards,
lazarst

Replied - 10/04/2006
Thank you for your compliments, kazeko. If you go to my webpage http://fa.f-realm.com/ at the bottom of the page, I have my Webrings that I have left and my new rings that I have up. Please feel free to join them if you wish, actaully, anyone who wants to join the two rings that I have can.

Tari

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy