Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 7 of 7
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Horribly Disappointed in Webring - 10/06/2006
Webring wants to charge for ringsmasters' volunteer work?!

My site's gone from 100 rings to less than 10 in days. My inbox is flooded with adoption requests. This whole site and the community is FALLING APART. Take a look at these forums and see!

Even if I paid for the most expensive plan I wouln't be able to keep the ring memberships I already had...and there's no way I'm giving webring any money after this.

Replied - 10/06/2006
Thatís a complete shame, kitsurugi_yui . I took a look at your StarArmy site and itís sadly disappointing that two of the six webrings in that stack are ones I manage. :(

I canít help but wonder what kind of traffic did you get from being in 100 webrings verses the current 6 you are in now? Since that is close to the new 5 free limit, does it really change anything in stats wise or not (if you have a stats tracking as part of your hosting plan)? Think the new plan is working or not?

~ eNiasni

Replied - 10/07/2006
eNiasni, I chose to keep your rings because they were the biggest.

Webring has never been a big traffic driver to my site, although I have gained a couple roleplayers from it, which is the important thing. Visitors from webring have of course dropped like a stone in the last couple days...I'm considering just removing the code entirely, since I don't like the thought of supporting the this new (underfeatured, overpriced) version of webring even by a link.

I'm really disgusted with your attitude about this disaster. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving in and forking over money to get LESS features than you had for free a week ago.

Roleplay sites are there for player enjoyment - not for "montization."

Replied - 10/07/2006
I have removed all the links to my other pages but left two up on my main page. And now I am getting suspended messages from rings that are DELETED and that I need to fix those missing navigation codes. I deleted those rings and removed my code from my rings a week ago. I guess Webring doesn't really want to lose us figuring that sending us a suspension notice will bring us back.

If (And I know that they won't do it anytime soon) they drop this pay for a few webring thing, they might get us back but who knows. We might not even return and it would be their fault that we no longer want to be a part of the largest Webring on the net. Another webring company will take that role from them as people would flock to that company then come to Webring.

Replied - 10/07/2006
"I guess Webring doesn't really want to lose us figuring that sending us a suspension notice will bring us back."

A classic case of "too little, too late". I'm already gone. Like you, I've removed all Webring code from all of my pages on all of my sites. I'm officially "Webring free" now.

Replied - 10/07/2006
"You should be ashamed of yourself for giving in and forking over money to get LESS features than you had for free a week ago."

Bingo. That's exactly the way I feel. They charge people for the privilege of building the Webring site, and they still have the gall to run ads on the member pages. Nice.

If they were offering Webring for free I could see it, but no paid site should be festooned with ads the way Webring is. It's insulting.

http://webringo.com - FREE webrings. No bull, no fees, no kidding.

Replied - 10/07/2006
Ummm, Iím sorry you feel that way about my attitude but Iím sure you have read my previous posts since I started posting about this in this forum and the ring managers. I did not sign up for webring originally to make money off of it. I was a part of it before they ever started the payoffs on earned memberships and what not. When they started the process in which ring masters could earn money off of it, I like all the others at the time, never complained or went to use other engines because it was possible to make a buck or two off of it.

Instead, I was.. ďwhat the hell am I gonna do with the creditĒ? And then it dawned on me, I would never have had the credit unless it was for the people who joined my webrings and made them what they are. So, the money ďthe bonusĒ was given back into a way that could reward them. i.e. featuring webrings, promoting them, and those sites. Now, that its been many years later and my policy hasnít changed. I run many websites online, none of which I aim to get a buck out of, in order to give something to the over all role-playing community on here and abroad.

I donít see where there is harm in me willing to pay out 7 cents a day or ten cents a day to a company which offers to date, one of the best webring systems out there. I could, of course go and figure out cji bins and whatnot, and host my own webring link system such as RingLink which was made a few years ago by the last wave of disgruntled webring users. And who knows, I may also do that for those who want to join free webrings relating to rpgs and anti-racism. But even if I did do that, it wonít change what I do over here.

Cont!

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy