Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 8 of 8
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

No good deed goes unpunished - deleting memberships - 10/08/2006
Ona - or anyone else who might know; I've received several requests from ring members asking how to delete memberships, does anyone know?

Personally, I'm keeping mine for awhile (just have one - this one) to see what happens, but my heart really isn't in it anymore. Rings that I started for very specific purposes are now gone (in the hands of "deleted" or "TOS") and I'm left with just one - and if Frank from support ever gets back to me, 2). My ring memberships went from 120+ to 2 also - a lot of work, time and effort down the drain.

Anyway, if anyone knows, please let me know so I can pass it on.

Dave

Replied - 10/08/2006
It's really simple. They simply click on their rings they belong to link. When they click on each one it will take them to the management area for their page in that ring. Simply click Leavethis ring.

Replied - 10/08/2006
It's really simple. They simply click on their rings they belong to link. When they click on each one it will take them to the management area for their page in that ring. Simply click Leavethis ring.

Replied - 10/08/2006
I'm sorry, maybe I mis-stated my case. The question I'm getting from ring members is "how do I delete my WebRing membership"? Not "how do I remove a site from a ring"?

They want their WebRing ID's deleted.

By the way, I want mine to stay!

Dave

Replied - 10/08/2006
Has WebRing.com ever considered making this easier?

Right now it is impossible to delete a system membership without first deleting all the individual site memberships.

Today the "easy" way for someone with a number of webrings, is just to change the master URL to something that does not exist or just remove the javascript from their page. Then, over the next weeks, WebRing.com will send emails about their site not being right and them being suspended. (To help reduce this annoyance, the member can change the email to something that works, but which is ignored, or change it to something that doesn't work.) However, if the ringmaster has chosen to not delete suspended sites they won't be deleted and this technique won't work.

Even then, the member must revisit the system to see if the memberships have been deleted so the system membership can finally be deleted.

It would seem so much easier if the system would just let those who wish to leave to actually leave. Provide a way ... a secure way of course ... for them to say "I'm outta here" and have the system just remove all their individual webring memberships as well as their system membership.

There is no reason I can think of to actually mandate lots of clicking to make this happen.

James S. Huggins
to contact me
http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 10/08/2006
= = = = = = = = = =
= = = = = = = = = =

It may be really simple. But it is also really tedious. And there is not, in my opinion, any reason to require all these keystrokes.

For the individual who wishes to just totally leave, the individual should be able to quickly, without visiting every single webring.

For the individual who wishes to delete en masse but remain a member of a few, (and isn't that exactly what the new policy is designed to encourage?) I can think of several ways to implement such a function (e.g., allowing a checkbox in the membership list which can be checked, then an action of delete which would apply to all).

James S. Huggins
to contact me
http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 10/08/2006
I just started reading all the threads from the last two weeks. I'm worried. I belong to several hundred rings. I do not want to be a paying member. How do I delete all my rings without clicking into each of them. If I simply do nothing, will webring simply delete them for me? Would I be charged if they claim that I am still a member of 50 or more? If so, how would they collect? I have not agreed to be a paying member, and I do believe they would be in violation if they attempt to collect without first asking members if they wish to remain free customers or paying customers. It should be up to webring to delete and convert our account into free one--with our discretion as to whether we want to join the paying memberships. Anyone know how this would work and how someone in my situation can avoid tedious work of deleting memberships?
thanks

Replied - 10/08/2006
------Anyone know how this would work and how someone in my situation can avoid tedious work of deleting memberships?
thanks-----

pIt could be very simple, if you read the whole set of instructions. Some of these clues are on the Transition Page.

pIf you are staying as free, you must click on the Free Option button at the bottom oo the membership options page by Jan 15th. Charges start on October 15th, but are deferred until Jan 15th and some can be waived or reduced if you agree to be a paying member.

*************It is important to respond ASAP to these notifications. If you don't respond, and the account stays delinquent, your membership will change to FREE status after 30 days. You will retain the top 2 rings and top 5 sites on your My Accounts page. All other rings will go up for adoption, and other ring memberships will be cancelled. ********************

now I have some money in my accounts, so I don't know what happens after October 15th. If I don't elect free status, do I accrue charges? I am assuming that I do. I'm not sure if non-paying members get to pay for overages either.

i figure the top 5 sites are the first five alphabetically and the same with the top rings, so I changed two names so that these rings will be the ones I keep if I don't get to delete them fast enough.

I am wondering if those that seldom check in will lose their sites as of the 16th of October and my rings will suffer.

As far as just leaving without doing all the work, just change your greetings on the webrings (and your profiles) and send them several emails as well as keep copies for yourself. Put a letter up on your home page, indicating your wishes to leave WEbRing. You've given legal notice.

also click on the free choice and indicate that you wish for a free membership if you are not leaving. If you have no money Webring will remove the excess rings for you.

If they wanted us to do it ourselves, they should have given us more time. AFter all, the PTB encouraged this behavior.

Anne

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy