Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 4 of 4
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

where did the community go? - 04/06/2007
I thought each web ring belonged to the person who had the idea and actually worked to put it together. I thought individuals were owner's and so only they could approve or deny an application according to their own rules. If WebRing management makes the decision of what is and is not, off-topic, and can remove sites from someone else's rings, and in some cases, take the ring completely away from the owner to put it up for adoption, how safe is our work? I fear every day that I will log on to find my site gone. The community of friendly people has disappeared and it's no fun anymore.

Replied - 04/13/2007
Wow. all kinds of accusations without any specifics. If you want to start a rational discussion please provide the audience with enough information to look and make an informed comment....

Replied - 04/17/2007
iWow. all kinds of accusations without any specifics. ...rational discussion.../i

The tone of a web community is set by the top - the leader.
My apologies if I also sounded more defensive than rational.

I'm not accusing and these aren't accusations. From what I've read on the manager's forum these are the facts. I only know what I read and am not a manager. Since webring staff didn't reply to the post below with explanations, I have to assume it is true. I wanted some assurance that my pages were safe under their webring logos.

Quoted from the manager's forum.
iWebRing Staff is in the process of merging duplicate and redundant rings. We are also removing off-topic memberships in rings./i

A manager of a ring I belong to had her ring taken away without her knowledge or consent, and it was put up for adoption. She wasn't aware until I told her, and she was surprised by the action. I'm questioning whose ring it was. All the links worked, which should be the main point of a ring. IMO.

My specific concern of having my 'redundant' and 'off topic' pages removed is real. My WebRing pages are on topic, but I also have some pages attached to the URL that are not. They were accepted by the managers long ago, but it seems to be out of their hands now.

I deleted all but the five Rings allowed in free memberships; as per the first announcement. That was changed, later, to allow us to keep what we had, but too late for me. They were already gone. The community isn't secure and friendly anymore. Discussions by simple members aren't encouraged, they are nipped in the bud. If I didn't care about Webring I wouldn't worry about it, but I do care.

Replied - 04/19/2007
"WebRing Staff is in the process of merging duplicate and redundant rings. We are also removing off-topic memberships in rings."

To clarify: We are only merging and cleaning system run rings.

We have had requests from managers who have many rings on the same topic to merge those same topic rings into one, but that is on the manager's request. If you have not requested our help in YOUR id, there is no need for concern. If you have requested our help in merging rings, that's all we will do...merge.

WebRing

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy