Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Why am I getting duplicates? - 11/07/2007
Since I got no reply to my first messages here (and a couple of issues have already been solved), I will try to make this very concise. Can anyone tell me why I now have 4 duplicates of the same navigation bar on my page, when I should have 3 individual ones (one accepted, one pending, one just submitted to)??

Replied - 11/09/2007
The answer is pretty simlpe. You installed the code 4 times. you only want ONE copy of the code. If you want to see all of the navbars at once you can configure the code to do that, but as a rule it only show the code for the ring being navigated.

In your case since the code is on a "links" page, which we *strongly* discourage as it offers nothing in the way of content or encouragment to enter your site - rather it encourages them to leave on one of the links - you would most likely want to configure to show the full set of navbars. You can do that via your URLs settings pages.

We would suggest instead that you place the code -once- here:
http://honeybunch.50webs.com/HTML/usum_buttons_dir.html
and let it show just one navbar. that way it doesn't clutter your page no matter how many rings you do join, and that page is an inviting place for a visitor to land. they can SEE what's available on your site without having to click multiple times to get there. That is the *main* reason the navigation code only shows one navbar by default. So that you can put it on an inviting part of your site without it intruding overly much.

Replied - 11/10/2007
The answer is pretty simlpe. You installed the code 4 times. you only want ONE copy of the code. If you want to see all of the navbars at once you can configure the code to do that, but as a rule it only show the code for the ring being navigated.

==== Okay, this begs the question of why izzit that all the SSNB codes look alike when I go to the page to pick them up? What I want is for each individual navbar graphic to show, naturally.

In your case since the code is on a "links" page, which we *strongly* discourage as it offers nothing in the way of content or encouragment to enter your site - rather it encourages them to leave on one of the links

==== Somewhere before, I've seen the same advice against this, maybe here, it does ring a bell.

- you would most likely want to configure to show the full set of navbars. You can do that via your URLs settings pages.

==== Erm, OK, explain further, plz? :'D

We would suggest instead that you place the code -once- here:
http://honeybunch.50webs.com/HTML/usum_buttons_dir.html
and let it show just one navbar. that way it doesn't clutter your page no matter how many rings you do join, and that page is an inviting place for a visitor to land. they can SEE what's available on your site without having to click multiple times to get there.

=== Ahh, so I should be using my "buttons" page as a "rings" page at the same time? Sounds cool to me. Yes, my sites do tend to have numerous pages ;-)

That is the *main* reason the navigation code only shows one navbar by default. So that you can put it on an inviting part of your site without it intruding overly much.

=== So then, in doing the above, will it stop the frustrating "duplication" I have on the separate 'rings' page?? I certainly hope so! Will try this & let you know what happens. THNX

=== Tim (i guess it's Tim?) advised me to upgrade to version 2 so that he could edit my site for me... Not sure about that!! I'd much rather fix my own probs w/o having to spend money to get the job done. :)

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy