Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 5 of 5
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

A Note on Pendings - 01/10/2009
For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bits of advice:

1. Sites should not be denied for lack of navigation code. They should be approved or denied based on content *only*. Being active or suspended after approval takes care of navigation code issues.

2. If it's not "your" ring please be extra sensitive with regard to item 1 above. Unless the content of the site is definitely off topic you may want to leave it for a member or the manager to decide.

3. If you encounter a site that IS off topic, or one in which you know of an even better ring, then you might consider contacting the member to let them know. Many new members don't know enough to look beyond the first ring they encounter.

Replied - 01/15/2009
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, system but you are wrong on this: 1. Sites should not be denied for lack of navigation code. They should be approved or denied based on content *only*. Being active or suspended after approval takes care of navigation code issues. I had approved 16 sites before they had the navigation code up and guess what happened, all 16 didn't care to put the code up even after they were approved. I gave them a week to add it, they didn't, I suspended them and waited another week to find that none of them added the coding. I deleted them. I figured that all they wanted was exposure and none of the hassles of putting the code up. I have a message on my join page telling all pending members that I require the code up before I approve them, and since that time I have not deleted anyone as they know what is expected of them right off the bat.

Replied - 01/15/2009
Tari you misunderstand. They SHOULD be approved regardless. However, YOU should be using conditional approval. ALL members should. That way they get approved based on content, then imediately suspended for lack of/failing navigation code.

The two things are separate issues.

Replied - 01/28/2009
I go for nav code first then content. Do you know how many times I have done the content first and waited a month or more for the person who owned the website to add the coding to their page and even after I suspended them soon after they submitted their site to the ring. I send them e-mails alerting them that their site is suspended till they put the nav code up and they never ever responded to my e-mails, even when I find their personal e-mail address they ignore my e-mail alerts and the code is never put up, so the only other thing I can do is delete them outright and if they want to resubmit their site, they are more than welcomed to do so. When I first came on WebRing, the minute I get done submitting my ring to a site, I get the code for that ring and I put it on my page ASAP, I don't wait a month when I'm online at that moment and not wanting to waste the ring maintainers time in coming to a site that does not have a nav bar on it. That is a slap to their faces and says a ton about how you really feel about your website. If you don't have a webring code up on your page right after you submitted your site for the first time and you don't within 7 days, you will be rejected and should be as you should care a great deal about your site as well as the ring you have joined.

Tari

Replied - 01/28/2009
A valid perspective. The value of conditional approval is that as it suspends them it sends them an email explaining what they need to do, provides the code again, etc.

They may still do nothing, but at least they get the imediate feedback that they are suitable for being in the ring and just need to add the code to make that happen. In the absense of any feedback the member may be waiting to hear whether they are acceptable or not before doing anything else. Probably not in most cases, but in some certainly.

But this method works for you, so cool.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy