Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

GeoCities transfer - 05/06/2009
My GeoCities “Star Wars” site will be cancelled some time this summer. However, I’ve already decided to accept WebRing’s generous offer as my new host and I’d like to make the transition as soon as possible. Unfortunately, GeoCities won’t be providing any useful information about the situation until later. If I can get the answers to a few simple questions, I should be able to proceed without too much difficulty.
1) Even though the domain name of my URL will change, can I keep the same suffix? Considering the subject of my web site, it’s a cute one and I’d like to keep it.
2) If I make the transition now, should I delete the files from GeoCities and post some sort of change-of-address notice at my old URL?
3) Can I upload the files to my public Webspace but delay their posting on the web until I’m sure everything is alright? How do I do this?
4) Does WebRing offer their own visitor counter capacity?
5) Once the files are posted as a Webspace site, can I assume that search engines will automatically switch to my new URL within a week or two?
6) Is there any way I can emend the wording of the web site precis that search engines use when they list search results? The description of my site is somewhat obsolete by now and I would like to update it. How do I go about doing this?
7) I can’t seem to find any mention of what the Webspace requirements are to keep the site active (i.e. logging in on a regular basis; drawing a certain rate of visitors). What are the requirements?
Since I know only the simplest form of html and have little experience with managing a web site, any advice might be helpful. Thank you.

Replied - 05/07/2009
Lots of questions but here are some (brief) answers:
1. the last bit can be kept, yes.
2. we suggest you LEAVE your geo page(s) but redirect them to webspace pages once you are happy with your webspace pages. that way you'll benefit from two search engine indeses for awhile.
3. probably be best to transfer the site to webspace and work with it there. We'd be happy to transfer for you to illustrate how simple it is(will be). write us at membership at webring dot com and include GECOTIES in the subject.
4. we'll be adding mre widgets/gadgets soon. counter certainly would be one. probably guestbook. we'll take suggestions
5. yes. we'll be giving them nudges as well.
6. not sure we follow totally, but you might be referring to your meta tags? you can edit those certainly. if you mean your webring membership title/description you can edit that any time.
7. have not established that criteria yet, but will. most likely we'll retire sites to inactive only if not in any webrings and not viewed OR logged into for some long period of time (year, two?) In general if the site is not very active it is only space (which is cheap) it takes up. if it's ative then bandwidth (which is also pretty cheap) is an issue. but if active then that's a good thing too :)

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy